Cooking Time 20 mins
Health Benefit Vegan, Gluten Free, Nutrient Rich
The Story Behind This Recipe: At my last 2018 Retreat in Del Mar, California, Chef Amber Thiel served what she called a Succotash Salad alongside Herb Roasted Chicken, Pepita crusted Salmon, a green salad, a potato salad and cornbread! It was a delicious feast and her Succotash Salad was one of the highlights. Her dish inspired me to create a variation with more of the veggies I like.
My veggie quinoa dish features green peas and broccoli along with some other yummy vegetables and grains.
Green peas come from a family of plants based on herbs, originating in the Himalayan plains of northwest India. They are a little sweet and so nutrient rich, containing good fats, healthy amounts of fibers, vitamins and minerals.
Here are a couple Green peas highlights:
- low in calories (especially in comparison with beans) while there’s about a third of a gram of total fat per cup, most of it is HDL – the “good” kind.
- contain healthy amounts of fiber, which helps clean the system
- rich in B-vitamins,including the folates
- Vitamin C which provides ascorbic acid, a water-soluble, free radical-neutralizing antioxidant well known for fighting infection, preventing colds and flu, and building up disease resistance.
- Green peas are a rich source of many minerals such as calcium, iron, copper, zinc, and manganese, vitamin K, vitamin A, and folate.
This is my variation on the original recipe.
**Remember to use organic ingredients!
*This dish is vegan, Gluten Free and loaded with nutrient dense goodness.
- 2 cups broccoli, steamed til tender
- 2 cups green peas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (or brown rice)
- 1 small organic red bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 2-3 green onions, white ends removed, thin sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, thin sliced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme or 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp raw, unsalted sliced almonds (optional)
1. Steam peas and broccoli in boiling water for about 4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and add to large bowl.
2. Add cooked quinoa, celery, red bell pepper, green onions, and basil. Mix all ingredients together; set aside.
3. In a separate small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, sea salt, and black pepper together until emulsified to make a dressing.
4. Pour dressing over veggie, quinoa mixture. Use a spoon to stir all ingredients until well combined. If using, sprinkle almond slices into mixture; toss well.
5. Cover and chill for approximately 30 minutes before serving.
Share With Me!!
Inspired to try?! Please post your pictures at #bethanystylehealth. I want to see your creations as well as hear where you shared this food or if you kept this goodness to yourself. If you shared it, what was the reaction? Tell me more about your meal and what happened around it!