MOVIE SUCCESS HIGHLIGHTS
• “Soul Surfer” is the #1 grossing Live Action Surfing Film at the box office! – Box Office Mojo (July 6, 2011)
• “Soul Surfer” ran in theaters 101 days
• “Soul Surfer” sold almost 2M DVD’s and Blurays in 90 days.
• “Soul Surfer” was one of four films out of 400 films released in 2011 to receive an A+ rating on Cinemascore. (“The Help”, “Dolphin Tale”, and “Tangled” were the other three films).
• Disney bought foreign theatrical and ancillary rights – “Soul Surfer” is still currently in release in foreign territories.
• HBO bought the subscription rights for “Soul Surfer” for $9M.
• WalMart has selected “Soul Surfer” as its family movie of the month in August 2011, & single biggest seller of “Soul Surfer” in the U.S. (Packaged with “Rio” – the $400M box office animated feature”)
• According to BoxOfficeMojo.com, the Top Five “Family Faith Based Genre” films of all time are: Narnia Franchise (3 films), “Passion of the Christ”, “Soul Surfer”, “Fireproof” and “Courageous”.
Inspirational Country Music Award-2011 — WINNER BEST FILM
People’s Choice Award 2012 – Favorite Book Adaption
ESPY 2011 – Best Sports FIlm
TEEN CHOICE 2011 – Best Film Drama, Best Actress Drama… AnnaSophia Robb
SPIRIT AWARDS 2011 – Best Film Drama
“‘Soul Surfer’ is the best faith-based film ever made” – Orlando Sentinel 4/5/11
“As a portrait of a spirited, resilient athlete, the movie succeeds best, unafraid to face its heroine’s daunting challenges directly.” – New York Times 4/7/11
“[After watching 'Soul Surfer', my daughter] had figured out that no, ‘Better’ is not symmetry. ‘Better’ is overcoming adversity and inspiring others… [she] showed me that inspiring with one arm is actually ‘better’ than doing nothing with 2.” – Ragamuffin Soul, in the article “Losing Arms, Parenting, and Breaking Barbies” 6/24/11
“Many movies leave you wondering why you went to see them. In this case [Soul Surfer] at the close of the movie I not only knew why I went, but I knew what I needed to continue doing with my life. And I am proud to know her and [the Hamilton] family.” – Andy Melamed (Kauai’s KONG radio, & family friend)
“The story of the billboard surfer girl who lost her arm to shark and lived to surf another day is warmly and winningly told in this nicely spiritual biopic. AnnaSophia Robb leads a strong cast as Bethany Hamilton, who finds balance again after life (and a hungry shark) deals her a heavy blow. [B+]” – Utah’s The Daily Herald
“We are absolutely thrilled with the way the film turned out, and the wonderful way it portrays Bethany’s and our family’s story and faith.” – Tom Hamilton told FOX411
“To me the phrase ‘Soul Surfer’ is about finding your path, your walk with God – or your surf with God – and making the best of the ride,” she said. “In the end, that is the most important.” – Carrie Underwood